Crocheting My Way to California - Part 1

Mermaid Blankets

In January, my life turned upside down.  My husband got a job in California.  (Yes, the one as far away from Virginia as you can get.)  I freely admit that I am somewhat resistant to change.  You can also say that I avoid it all possible costs.  I wanted to crawl into bed, pull the covers over my head, and pretend that none of this was happening.  So, my logical solution was to crochet.  And, boy did I crochet.  I have completed quite a few projects in three short, crazy months.  Events were swirling in chaos around me and my crochet hooks were flying in a frenzy.

My first project was a mermaid blanket for my niece.  She has dreams of becoming a mermaid.  Who doesn’t, really?  

I used some yarn that I found in a discount bin last summer.  I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it, but I bought it anyway.  It was perfect for the mermaid blanket!  I did have to double the yarn to get the size right.  I only had enough for the main bodyof the blanket so I had to use other yarn to make the fin.  Luckily I had plenty of scraps in matching colors to come up with something that worked.  

I decided to make one for my sister as well...so they could be mermaids together.  Her favorite color is yellow. 

I was wandering through the yarn aisles at Joann’s and I came across this beautiful self-striping Deborah Norville Serenity yarn.  It turned out very well.  I really like the yarn.  I will definitely be using it again.  It never split or caught wrong as I was going.  It has great weight and is very soft and plush.  

I saw several different types of mermaid blankets on-line.  Most were a blanket with a fin stitched onto one end.  Some were cocoons with a fin stitch on.  I decided that if I’m going to the trouble of making a fin, it should have more purpose than just being decorative.  So, I decided to make the fin a tube as well as the blanket.  It took quite a bit of trial and error to get it right, but it turned out so well in the end.  

All of the patterns I saw were either a crocodile stitch (which I’m not a huge fan of) or a simple shell stitch.   I chose the shell stitch.  I also decided to make the whole blanket a cocoon.  I left the top open so it will lay across the lap and you don't have to worry about sitting on it. 

I kept making my youngest son try the blanket on to check the length.  He was a good sport about it but he wouldn’t let me take a picture…Oh well.  So, I don't have any pictures of the blankets in action.

Believe it or not, these worked up fairly quickly.  But, they do eat up quite a bit of yarn.  I plan to do a few for presents. I’ve started a new one and I’m tracking my yarn and writing the pattern out as I got.  This is my first attempt at writing out a pattern, so we will see how it goes.  Stay tuned!