HOW DO I MAKE A SKETCH OF MY SPACE?
It’s important to think about your space in two different ways; as a plan (from above) and as an elevation (looking straight at the wall).
Step 1: Making the outline of the plan.
- Draw the outline of your space (the parts of the walls you can see) as if you are looking down from above.
- Leave openings for windows and doors.Take the dimension of each wall from one corner to the opposite corner.
- Take the dimension of each window and door.
- Measure the distance from the nearest corner to the opening.
- Then measure the the opening from side to side.All dimensions should be listed in inches.
Step 2: Include any other permanent fixtures in the room, such as a fireplace.
- Take the measurement from the fixture to the nearest corner.
- Measure the fixture from one side to the other.
Step 3: Draw the elevations of each wall.
- Stand, facing the wall.
- Draw the edges of the wall and note the height on the drawing.Draw the doors and windows.
- Take the measurement from the floor to the bottom of the window.
- Then measure the height of the window.
- Note the height of any doors or archways.Add any permanent features; light switches, thermostats, light fixtures, etc.Repeat this process for each wall.
Step 4: Review your drawings.Take a moment to stand still, and make sure you’ve included everything.Look at each wall and make sure all of the permanent features are included. If in doubt, include it!
WHAT ABOUT THE THINGS I ALREADY OWN AND WANT TO INCLUDE?
If there are items in your home that you want to include in the new design, provide a list and a couple of pictures.
WHICH PICTURES DO I NEED TO TAKE?
- Take a picture from each corner of the space looking straight ahead and slightly to each side.
- Take a picture from each corner looking up at the ceiling and down and floor.
- The pictures will probably overlap, but that is a good thing.
- The more information we have, the better.
WHAT DO I SUBMIT WITH MY DESIGN PACKAGE?
Once you have gone through and made sketches and taken pictures, it’s time to put everything together.
- Scan or take pictures of your drawings.
- Write a brief description of the project.
- Include all of your pictures.